Sunday, January 27, 2013

GARDENS BY THE BAY - SINGAPORE 2013

 On a dark and rainy afternoon, we took the MRT to the newly opened Gardens By The Bay. It's situated not far from Marina Bay Sands and the Singapore Flyer.
http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/home.html

 This is Supertree Grove. They are massive artificial trees with real plants entwined amongst the structure. They are fitted with lights for the night show. Apparently, they look impressive at night, but we didn't have enough time to see them. There is the OCBC Skyway, which is an elevated boardwalk that connects two of the trees. We were unable to take this walk due to the heavy rain.
I adore the gardens in Singapore, but this garden is in a league of it's own. There is no way to adequately describe how beautiful this massive garden is. You really have to experience for yourself. I really want one of these heliconias in my garden!

                                              Dragonfly Lake is at the entrance to the gardens.
 You can get a good view of the Singapore Flyer.
 Super tree Grove
 We stopped under this hut whilst we waited for the tropical downpour to subside. It was styled on a traditional Malaysian house. I think it would look good in my backyard by my swimming pool.
 
 The major attractions are two massive dome shaped greenhouses, and I do mean massive. The first one we explored was "Flower Dome".

A variety of different enviroments from around the world are replicated in this dome. This is the Mediteranean section, which features a large selection of cacti and plants from arid regions.



 



 This was a massive kaleidoscope in the floor - not sure why.

 
More on Gardens By the Bay next post. 
 

5 comments:

  1. I'm green! Very green with envy!

    What are those weird trees that look like giant potatoes?

    I have mixed feelings about the Supertree Grove. Wouldn't real trees be nicer? Like the giant baobabs of Madagascar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing photos!! :)
    drop by my blog too dear?

    xoxo,
    Rae \(^o^)/
    Raellarina - The Ballerina on Fire

    ReplyDelete
  3. how gorgeous!! i've never been myself! maybe its time to check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful garden!
    I have not gone to SINGAPORE!
    I would love to there!

    akiko
    http://kimonosnack.blogspot.co

    ReplyDelete