Monday, January 13, 2014

LOW CARB CHOCOLATE BAVARIAN PIE

As this blog contains craft and general rubble, I have started another blog, devoted to purely diabetes information. Sometimes there may be some duplication of posts, as diabetes in forever interwoven into my life.  My new blog is

http://diabeticalien.blogspot.com.au/

It is name The Diabetic Alien, because I really feel like an alien in the world of diabetes. All my research and results have come about via my own research and experimentation, and not from the mainstream advice which is sadly followed in Australia. My management methods work for my son, but I do believe it could work for any diabetic.

Now onto some fun stuff - low carb cooking.

One of my favourite desserts is Chocolate Bavarian Pie. In fact, I could probably eat 1/2 a pie all to myself. Disgusting, I know.  But since Sara Lee is banned from my house, I played around and came up with my own low carb version.  If you cannot eat dairy, look away now.

CRUST
50 gm pecan meal
30 gm unsweetened coconut flakes
50gm hazelnut meal
50 gm almond meal
30 gm cocoa
3 tablespoons xylitol
70 gm melted butter
Note: you could use whatever nut meal you like - it doesn't really have to be this combination.
Mix all ingredients together and press into a springform tin. I had enough mixture to go half way up the sides of the tin.  Bake in moderate oven for 10 minutes. Cool.
CHOCOLATE FILLING
This is like a custard .
In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 eggs, 3 tablespoons of xylitol.
In a medium saucepan, heat together 300 mls full fat cream, 100 gms dark sugar free chocolate, 30 gms cocoa and 1 1/4 tablespoon gelatin. Heat until choc has melted, then just bring to the boil. Whilst whisking the egg mixture, pour the hot cream mix into the bowl. Do not stop whisking or you may create scrambled eggs. Pour this mix through a sieve back into the saucepan. Heat saucepan on low heat, whisking all the time until it has just thickened. Remove from heat immediately or it will curdle. Allow to cool until luke warm - about 30 mins.
 
 

Beat 300 mls full fat cream until stiff peaks stage. Fold in the cream into the cooled custard.

Pour the chocolate mix into the pie crust and chill in fridge until set - probably several hours.

Before serving, spread 150ml of whipped cream on the top, followed by a little grated sugar free chocolate.



The entire pie comes in at a paltry 60.7 carbs. If you divide it into 10 slices, it will be just 6.07 gm carb per serve.

The next time someone asks me, "what is there left to eat, if you don't eat grains and sugar?" I will serve them a slice of my Chocolate Bavarian. Bland and boring it is NOT.
My son had a slice for dessert, and his blood glucose was in normal range at bedtime.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment